I was pleased to read the article by John Flesher (AP) naming “Dr. Beach’s” top five Great Lakes beaches. The list comes from an analysis by Stephen Leatherman of Florida International University, who is also known as “Dr. Beach”.
Leatherman looks at 50 beach-quality factors. Flesher reports that Dr. Beach’s criteria focuses on water quality, sand quality and safety, with cleanliness a must.
- Lake Michigan’s dunes of Sleeping Bear National Lakeshore (Empire, MI)
- Lake Erie’s Presque Isle State Park (PA)
- Lake Superior’s Sand Point Beach at Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore (Munising, MI)
- Lake Huron’s Bayfield Main Beach (Ontario, CA)
- Lake Michigan’s Oak Street Beach (Chicago, IL)